13 November 2016

HIGHBONE THEATRE

One of the best graphic novels I've read in ages... it's also a 574 page monster.



What got me to buy this was Joe Daly's visual style. It's beautiful... and as I started reading it, I thought, "oh no, this is one of those 'stream-of-consciousness' comics where the author just makes it up as he goes". You know, more of a graphical exercise, than a coherent story. I was a little annoyed, but Joe's art kept me hanging in by a finger... and then the story started to unfold, the messages popped up, and i began to smile.



The book is so satisfying, and keeps building until I was blown away at the end. Both visually and how the narrative crystalised. Even obscure things within the story (that when i read them i thought "The author is just being clever and random"), all snap together in the end.

If you like Robert Crumb, you'll love this one. Joe Daly is a genius.. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

No comments: