03 November 2014

Debbie's Inferno

Grabbed Anne Emond's 32 page comic DEBBIE'S INFERNO from Matt Emery at the last Melbourne Comics Meetup. The cartooning style caught my eye. Reminded me of Mandy Ord's work.


It's a quick read but very good. I really enjoy comics like these that make the reading experience like you're taking a walk on the beach... a nice change from all the usual fragmented angst and fury of other comics. From a visual point-of-view I like the grid structure Anne's used, and the cartooning style has a very 'R.Crumb' feel to it. Story-wise, I thought it was ok on first reading... but I re-read it again this morning over a cup of tea (with nowhere to be) and I liked it a lot. Just goes to show how time/place/mood can effect one's appreciation of things. Really good stuff.

No comments: