30 November 2011

The Big Arse 2 illustration

Here's a quick run-through of how I went about illustrating the Big Arse 2 poster (shown in my previous post).

Firstly, I sketched out some rough ideas. I was set on having another fat 'cottage cheese' type chick as the 'hero' for the next Big Arse event. I like art which represents the 'street-level' aspect of everyday people. If you haven't guessed by now, I find drawing 'perfect' people to be boring. There's too little detail and character. They all look like they've come off a production line.... but give me wrinkles, nicks and humanity... and my drawing hand is buzzin.

Predictably though, in my social life, I'm still a typical guy with pedestrian hormones. My fetishes in art don't necessarily translate to the ones in 'meat space'... so no, all you fat loud broads out there, don't even bother.

I can understand where R.Crumb was coming from. I think from memory; that when they used to do photo shoots of him with the same types of 'thick' sexy women he drew (to feature on magazine covers), that he didn't get turned on at all. In fact he felt uncomfortable. One's artistic pedilictions versus the real-life (innate ones) can be very different. Thank god for that... especially for those who draw horror comics :)

Aaaanyway... my initial thought was to have the main female in the poster as one of those g-string bimbos that hold up the 'round' cards in a boxing match (as intimated in some of the sketches above) ... but then I began imagining the design of the poster (thinking ahead), as something different from last years one. Y'know, I didn't want it to be another typical comic book-style cover with a lot going on... but rather, have it be a clean and bold design, with the dumpy fat chick as the main focus. My 'design' head started seeing her in isolation... and so I focussed on her alone. I made her more 'comic book' related to be more suggestive of the event at hand. I then blew up the top right sketch (shown in the sketches above), and printed it out at a very faint and low-resolution on my art-card


Tight-pencilling over the blown-up sketch.


Inking the pencilled page (first part of the image above)... then removing everything but the black on computer (second image above).


And, after the colouring... whala.

- Bobby.N
www.bobbyn.com

No comments: