26 April 2011

The end of an era...

Alternate Worlds Comics & Collectables has been around for about 15 years, and it's only been in the last two that I had discovered this gem of a store.... and now it's closing. I'm sad for the great guys that worked there, namely Larry Boxshall, who genuinely cared about comics.

It's like I'd made a best-friend of that store and it's staff recently... and now, just when podcasts like NonCanonical, and the local comics creating/buying community was rallying around it more than ANY other (and deservedly so...! because the A.W staff had been so good to us)... someone with a calculator has decided to put a bullet in the store's head.

The official word is that the store is only relocating to Bayswater (far out into the burbs) under a new 'online' business model... but the grass-roots personal nature of such a friendly store that 'kept' buyers loyal, is over (I'm willing to bet).


Larry Boxshall and Joey Morris

It's such a shame because Joe & Larry were on the front cover of a recent AGE mag The City Weekly talking about comics (not to mention on a large billboard in the city's centre promoting the article) and you felt the comics culture in Melbourne rise just that little bit more. I wish the best for Larry and the guys after the store's Chapel St closing (hey, Laz, you might actually be able to drop into a monthly meetup now?), and hope it doesn't dampened their love of comics. It's the death of important things like this that sometimes changes things negatively. I sure hope not.

I feel like I've been kicked in the guts, but I try and remember what made A.W great... it was the staff, the comics and the campfire of friendly conversation.


-Bobby.N
www.bobbyn.com

PS: Join other mourning comic'ers on facebook (like me), that are both sad and annoyed at the store's closure. "Alternate Worlds moving to Bayswater is the stupidest thing I've ever heard"

No comments: