12 December 2009

  • -

Cardigan comics' book launches are THE book launches of the year. If you're a comic publisher, and you're thinking about launching your title... make sure it's as FAR away from the date of a TANGO launch as possible, because these shin-digs are jaw dropping. You don't stand a chance.


Two massive anthologies were launched on the night. THE TANGO COLLECTION published by Allen & Unwin, and TANGO-9 (Love & War) published by Cardigan Comics.

The night was fantastic. Good friends, and great books. The new TANGO-9 was the standout for me. Perfect dimensions & 300+ pages. It was nice and chunky. All the organisers/publishers outdid themselves. Guests couldn't praise the night and books enough... just take a look at some of the pics I took on the night.


Where ever I pointed my camera... it was packed.


Very swish.


In the main gallery area, groups were congregating.


It did heat up, but we were all having too much fun to care.


I see you Jen.


The only creator taller than Bruce & myself... the talented Mr Scmidt.




Mr Caleo giving his eloquent and charged speeches to launch the books.


Just take a look at that crowd!!
Click on the image above to see a larger panorama shot.


A parting gift from the mysterious publisher. A magazine to be launched in the near future. What will be inside... who knows? But I'm waiting with baited breath.

-Bobby.N

7 comments:

John Retallick said...

Another great couple of reports Bobby. Just a note on this one, The Tango Collection is through A+U but Tango9 and all the other 8 Tangos have been (self) published by Cardigan Comics.
Cheers.

Bobby.N said...

Right you are John.
Now fixed.

-Bobby.N

Ian T. said...

That panorama shot really captures the night! I agree with you about "Tango9: Love & War" - what a fantastic book!

Bobby.N said...

JEN BREACH
"Seeing you walk across the room in Colin's panorama shot, Bobby, is totally sealed by your cheeky grin in the last shot. Gold!

-- Jen"


Sorry Jen, i accidently deleted your post, so i had to put it up in my post here. Yes, the panorama that Colin took of me as I walked across was totally accidental. I only noticed him taking it when i'd walked up close to the table... and smiled as though I'd meant it all along. :)

IAN.T
It is a great book isn't it. A nice range of styles in there. It's also (in my eyes) a perfect size & 'big-ness'. It makes me want to get my larger story cracking a little more, JUST so I can produce a phonebook like this. It really wets the lips.

As Wolfgang Bylsma (of Gestalt Publishing) so eloquently put it, these things are a 'fetish objects'.

-Bobby.N

J Marc Schmidt said...

It was a great night. I liked your Tango #9 story; some really good facial expressions and balloon placement there.

Bobby.N said...

Thanks J.
I lay out the drawings, words & balloons on a computer first - print it out on a cheap laser printer - then use that to trace from. That way everything's where it should be.

My day job as a graphic designer has informed this step for me... otherwise I'd burn holes in my drawing card by all the erasing!

Oh, and I enjoyed your piece too Mr Schmidt. My favorite panel was where the nurse is wiping the patient's face. Really nice nuances. Well done.

-Bobby.N

Bobby.N said...

'Shaving' the patient's face was what I meant to say... not wiping - :)

-Bobby.N