15 August 2009

  • -

Ok. just finished the 4-pager for TANGO-9 (Love & War), and will be burning it to CD & sending to Mr Caleo during the week (4 pages shown below):

Every so often while doing a story I discover new tricks & techniques that I think worked really well for me. So too was the case with this story. I got the hang of a certain construction & execution that I'm really pleased with & that I'll carry forward into my other work if it continues to work well and add to the look of the page.

I also did some work on my bigger secret project. Ah well... its my Moby Dick.

I've come full circle to the realisation that I really enjoy cross-hatching and adding 'volume' with it in my work. It always use to grate at me when I'd try to do a 'clean-line' style (like Tintin or Charles Burnes) and fall short in my goals. (I guess its the artist in me thats always trying extend and cover new ground)... but it just doesn't look right in my style. I always feel like I'm paying most of the attention to the drawing (and I think it shows)... rather than just drawing a well-read comic in my natural style. Thats one of the things I learnt in doing the previously mentioned short TANGO piece... that of just sitting down and doing a natural story in (as Crumb puts it) my lite"E-Z duz-it" style... my "get-it-done-already" style... and I had a wonderful time at it when I approached it this way. It just flowed.

Anyway.. spoke to Jason Franks this morning, and we're all set for Armaggeddon this October-17th in Melbourne. We'll be sharing a table (Possibly with J. Marc Schmidt)... so put it in yer diaries.

Later.

-Bobby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bobby,
I have taken an intrest in comics my whole life, my real intrest is inking, there have been stages with the brush but since you use the dip pen i'll have to convert too, since i lurv the line that you get, unfortunately i live abroad and it is hard for me to get your boks, but I go on your blog and website 24/7, anyway as i was saying have you ever tried the gillot 303 nib and if so what do you think about it?
also what kind of paper do you use?ie bristol board or cartrifge paper?
thats basically it.
thanks

Bobby.N said...

Oh yeah, I have a few Gillot-303's myself and think really they're great. They're usually cheaper than the 'hunts' and good quality.

Generally...

For thicker lines I use:
- Hunt 22
- Gillot 404

For fine lines I use:
- Hunt 102
(the best nib in my opinion)

For paper I basically use a thick shiny card (200gsm) from a local Officeworks or copyshop. I buy them in packs of 250 for a bout $18. cheap, because I go through a bit. The paper needs to basically be something that holds the ink 'on top' of the paper. I've found the 'ink' is the thing to choose properly more than the paper (though taht still is important.). Don't use those watery multi-purpose inks that say they can be used for air-brushing, painting, watercolours, inking, etc... basically they're made for all areas of use, so really they're not the best for inking with a nib. Use an 'INDIA' ink like Windsor Newton or Paebeo. Experiment and see which one you like.

Anonymous said...

thanks bobby,

nice to hear im not alone on the 303 conquest.
And ill definitely use what youve told me cheers,

cant wait too see posts