28 December 2008


  • .
Following on after steps 2&3 (see post below), I scan the sketches from my sketchbook that I think worked best from my thumbnails into my computer at lo-res . I lay these out at 1-1 in my 'page-grid' (see pic directly below). I find this stage very useful, as I can import the individual sketches from my sketchbook, and then scale/shift/rearrange them so I get the composition just right. I then print out a simple rough (in my case, i work on A4) that I'll use as the guide for tracing onto my final art board.

Here's an example from a story Im composing in DIGESTED.02:

I use this as the underlay. I place this under a final blank art-card (that i will be inking onto), and place them both on my lightbox and lightly trace all the major lines in blue pencil.

Afterwards, I tight pencil (add details) to the final art-card in more blue pencil.

Then I ink it.

Anyway, that's it for now... see you at the next meetup (Jan-3rd), or failing that at THE LIST-II book launch (Sat-17th-Jan-09)... Details here.

Later.

-Bobby.N

3 comments:

Jason Franks said...

I should work in a similar way. This is a similar process to what I use when I screw up and I desperately need help, but I think I'd produce smarter pages (and less screwups) if I put in a bit more planning before I hit the drawing board.

I'm getting better at the actual drawing, so this is my goal for whatever I do next: smarter page design. If I survive long enough.

Bobby.N said...

The thing that made me come up with this method, was that I was producing better penciled compositions in my sketchbook than I was on the final artboard.

When sketching in my sketchbook, there's a 'zen' like freedom that I found i couldn't get when penciling onto the final artboard. I felt nervous and constrained by the panels in which i was penciling my final work. It was all too stifling for me... so i found this method much better for me in order to come up with better looking/composed pages.

It's an extra step, sure, but I think the results are much better.

-B.

Jason Franks said...

Funnily enough, that has been exactly my problem. When I first started messing around with comics I got frustrated because nothing looked as good on the page as it did in my sketchbooks and I more or less gave up drawing altogether--I was always a writer before an artist and it seemed like a logical step.

Back to the drawing board now.

Happy New Year!