02 November 2008


Well... this year I came to Armaggeddon as a spectator. Not being behind the table allowed me to wander the event & hang out with all of my comic-buddies, meet new faces, & look at all the comicbooks on offer without having to rush back to my table.



I arrived at around noon, & like last year, it seemed to be the busiest time. It was full of noise & fury. They had all manner of pop-culture on show. The wrestling was booming/crashing in the corner with middle-aged men & women in leotards (superhero connection?... hmmm.) pretending to cripple each other. The usual video games, toys, tv celebrities & self-publishers of books were all there. Overpriced food was in the back.

THE LIST BOOTH

THE LIST author Paul Bedford.

As I headed over to 'artist alley' (the self-publisher area), the first person I spotted was my main man Paul Bedford with his hands behind his back... looking more like he was protecting the wall behind him rather than selling the items in front. The long awaited THE LIST-2 is about to be released in the next few weeks/month, and from the previews I've seen, looks to exceed reader's expectations from the amazing high water mark of the first book. Followers of this series will definitely be impressed.

Its always a lot of fun to hang out & chat with this driven & talented fellow, but we can never seem to stay serious for long, as intellectual conversations, roll down a juvenile hill with just one push. Judge for yourself as Paul & I try and talk about comics in the podcast below... which i had to stitch together in segments as we kept getting interrupted by buyers wanting to (you guessed it) BUY something from Paul's table. We even interrupted ourselves. Even Ernie Hudson (from The Crow movie) distracted us to inquire about Paul's book! Very nice, friendly & gracious fellow... but I didn't record it damnit. Anyway, have a listen at us attempt a focused conversation:





BLACK GLASS PRESS BOOTH


Right next to Paul, was the BLACK GLASS PRESS booth which had Jason Franks & J. Marc Schmidt sitting behind it. Jason was selling a whole bunch of his anthologies under his banner, including the latest KAGEMONO-2.

J. Marc Schmidt, while being the artist in many of Jason's comics, also had his own books, framed pictures & cards for sale.


[Click here to see some of J. Marc Schmidt's work.] - Being a previous fan of his work, I was glad to meet and chat with him. I picked up his books (Published by Slave Labor Graphics) - and read his EATING STEVE book later that night. Really great read... get it!

I recorded a chat with both Jason & Marc.
Have a listen...





Wondering around I saw...

Mark Selan & Ive.

And the only other familiar booths with local faces behind them (that I knew at the expo), were the LAC guys. They splashed out for a large corner booth in the midst of all the traffic... which i think helped their sales out considerably. Location, location, location.


Busily drawing away were Darren Close & Trev Woods.


The whole LAC booth.

LAC has just released some really slick looking Graphic Novels that were on sale for the expo. The quality of these were astounding. If you haven't seen any of their stuff, check it out at the LAC Website.


Dave holding up his latest offering... the book, not his crotch.

Across from the LAC booth, behind a hoard of fans and a looong queue.... was Star Wars & Judge Dredd artist Colin Wilson. I couldn't even get close to him, and only managed to hold my camera high above the crowds' head to take the following shot...


Colin Wilson sketching for a fan...

Later, as the convention was winding down, I got to chat to Colin about how the day was going, and got to flip through the sexy reprint of his book Du Plomb Dans La Tete (English transalation: 'Headshot') - which has recently been optioned for a big Hollywood movie. Also chatted to other familiar faces like Greg Gates, who showed me some very nice artwork for a story he's working on behind the scenes.


Greg giving me the usual finger...

I had a great time at the expo as a spectator, and enjoyed spending time & chatting with various people. Hope I didn't annoy people too much hanging around, and see you all next week for our monthly comic meetup at...

MELBOURNE MONTHLY COMIC MEETUP:
Day: 8th-November-2008 (Saturday afternoon)
Time:
2pm - onwards
Where: Prince Alfred Hotel (Pub)
Grattan St, Carlton (Across from Melbourne Uni.)

Open to everyone who's into comics... see you there next Saturday.

-Bobby.N

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like it was better than last year?
Tom

Bobby.N said...

For me it was a blast (i was only there one day and not exhibiting, so i was free to walk around and talk to everyone... so not sure if my take on it as a spectator is much to go on.)... In terms of sales, i think (like Doujicon) it would depend on whether you had something new to sell.

Overall, it seemed similar to last year... and last year i thought it was great. I think i noticed a 'little' less of our local comic groups exhibiting at artist's alley, but then again there were a few more from interstate.

Anyway... at the very least, it was 'as' good as last year i thought.

-B.

Anonymous said...

Bobby, you are too kind mate. Cheers for the big-head I've now got. Ha!
I'm rapt you came along, as it's always a blast when we get together and the interview was fucking funny and fun to do...as well as being bloody good practice for the interview by the doco guys who turned up shortly afterward. I was so rapt as they asked basically the same questions - I felt like i'd cheated on a test as it helped heaps with my answers when the camera with the big bright light was stuck in my face. Ha!
See ya next week mate.
Paul Bedford.