11 November 2008


Since last week's Armageddon Expo (see post below) fell on our scheduled comics meetup, it had to be moved forward to the following week. Fine with me. One comicbook weekend followed by another is great in my book.

I slept in til about 10.30am, got up leisurely, had breakfast, and headed into the city. I arrived at the city around 12-noon and had a few hours to kill so I walked around some bookshops. I usually go to Minotaur bookshop last (sort of like a 'desert'), and as I wandered through, was tapped on the shoulder by Mr Greg Gates while I was about to buy Mike Dawson's book 'Freddie & me' (cover below):



Greg raised an eyebrow to me, to which I said, "Don't get the wrong idea! Im no Queen fan, but I like the art... and the story looks interesting." - and it was. A great book. Check out Mike Dawson's blog for samples.

Greg picked up a book by Mike Golden, and we headed off as it was 1.30. I commented to Greg as we made our way there that it would be interesting to see how many would show up this month as its always a crap-shoot to guess. Sometimes we get 4 people there, and sometimes it's 24. We arrived at the Prince Alfred Hotel at about 1.45pm and Trev Woods was already on the couches reading.

The first thing Trev said was, "Did you hear the latest news on the boards?", to which we looked puzzled and said ".....?"

"LAC is finished."

Greg and I were dumbstruck. "Bullshit!" I said. But it was true. Dave has decided to shut up the LAC shop. Details on the LAC website, and Pulp Faction. It's a little sad, but apparently Dave just doesn't have the time/energy/money to have so much on his back anymore. The good news is Dave isn't giving up comics, and will still be doing his own stuff... which is heartening to hear. He's too good to lose.



Soon others came & it was a huge turnout.




Jason Franks (AKA: The Fish) was powerdrinking so fast I couldn't focus the camera.


Paul trying to look as Macho as possible wearing a pink t-shirt.

MEMORABLE MOMENTS:
  • LAC closing shop. (Very sad news.)
  • Bumping into Greg & chatting as we made our way down to the meet.
  • Conversations with exhibitors and patrons that went to Armageddon. Varied takes on the con, but overall everyone seemed to have a lot of fun this year. I sure did.
  • Chat with Philip about his publication WORD BALLOONS & his view of it.
  • Dave Cunning showed us some a personal comics he's working on (nice.), including slick looking KILLEROO finished inked pages that he & Darren Close are working on together.
  • Talks with the regular faces.
I missed out on talking to some people, but I'll catch you next meet which is only a few weeks away!... Til then.

-Bobby.N

3 comments:

Jason Franks said...

I only had the one beer... but I guess I swilled it down pretty quick.

I think it was probably empty by the time your shutter clicked off.

-- JF

Anonymous said...

It seems there are a lot of new faces at these meets. I'm not recognising about a 3rd. Looks like it's going strong.
Tom

Bobby.N said...

Yeah, a few new faces have become regulars this year... which is good.

-Bobby.N