31 July 2008


During last week’s round-table discussion at Doujicon (see post below), I noticed that all of us that are trying to 'do' something with our work seemed to agree that producing comics to a professional standard (in both content & physical form) is a must for our work to succeed in the marketplace.

From this, I also began to realize how that same ‘head-strong’ pride in one’s work can (and I argue should) spill over into the types of stories that one produces. All too often (with the best of intentions) people might attempt to calculate what will work as a story, rather than just create a story that they themselves would want to read. As cliché as it sounds, the idea of doing it for ‘yourself’ (first and foremost) is, in my view, the best use of your time and enthusiasm.

I think Chris Ware said it best:



-Bobby.N

2 comments:

Luke Pickett said...

Hi, I've been reading you blog for while and I think what your saying here is very true, i heard it called "goal posting" once and if you goal posting your work, trying to figure what what might sell best or get the best reviews you end up with a inferior product(speaking more broadly to include any artworks). I don't know if you've ever read Godland, might not be youre sort of book, but whenever i open it up Tom Scioli artwork sings. Cos though his working for a audience, he loves drawing that book more than he cares about that audience.
Hope that was somewhat relevant.
cheers

Bobby.N said...

Oh sure - I've always said that you'd better care about what your drawing & writing in comics because of the time it takes to produce a page.

Why would i waste my time trying to hit the target of 'what people might like?' Do I draw a comic about Brad & Angelina just because they're popular?... no.

You make the books that you want to read.

-Bobby.N

.